Delivered by wholesale fruit suppliers all across Melbourne – from juice bars to fine dining restaurants, bananas are used in all manner of meals. Available all year round and locally grown. The banana is the most universally used fruit.
As the most popular fruit in the world it is a surprise to realise that the bananas do NOT grow on trees, but rather on a plant that is the largest herb in the world. This Herb plant can grow up to 15 metres high.
There are over 1000 varieties of bananas in the world. Bananas are believed to have originated fromSoutheast Asia, in the jungles of Malaysia, Indonesia or Philippines. The word Banana is believed to derive from the Arab for ‘finger’.
- On average each person in Australia eats 100 bananas!
- The word banana comes from the Arabic word “banan”, meaning finger
- The banana plant is not a tree, it is the world’s order valium online legal largest herb
- The “trunk” of a banana plant is not made of wood, it is made of tightly overlapping leaves
- Bananas could help you to feel happier as they contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to promote relaxation and improve mood
- The inside of a banana skin can be used to calm an itchy mosquito bite – many people find that rubbing the bite with the skin helps to reduce irritation
- A medium-sized banana contains only 95 calories, and provides a quick-but-sustained energy boost in a natural, nutritious and easily digestible form with no fat, cholesterol or sodium
- A stem of bananas consists of “hands”, which consist of 10 to 20 bananas. When a hand is split, the bananas become “clusters”, which generally consist of between three to eight bananas
- The inside of a banana skin can be used to polish shoes!